When a totally revamped version of 1Password for Android was released to the Play Store earlier this summer, the AgileBits developers still weren’t quite sure on how to price the app. Since the release, the app has been free for anyone to use. At the time of release, AgileBits said that eventually, a premium version would be released with many of the features hidden in it. Now, in a blog post, the developer team has announced that, as part of today’s 1Password 4.1 update for Android, many of the premium features are behind in-app purchases.
For free, the 1Password for Android app acts essentially in a read-only mode, as users are allowed to view their data, but not create anything new.
1Password 4 for Android, the Reader version
As a free app, 1Password 4 for Android can:
- View all items in the vault
- Delete items from the vault
- Browse your favourite sites with 1Password’s built-in web view
- Access all options in Settings (including PIN code and Rich Icons)
- Configure sync with Dropbox or Folder Sync – both to an existing vault created with one of our other editions or by creating a brand-new vault
For a $9.99 in-app purchase, users gain a variety of enhancements, the biggest of which is, of course, the ability to create and add new items to your account.
1Password 4 for Android, the premium version
The paid edition unlocks the full power of 1Password for Android, right in your pocket:
- Create and add an unlimited number of new items
- Modify existing items
- Organize items into Folders
- Mark (and unmark) items as Favourites for quick access… or ‘Favorites’ for our friends south of the border
In addition to unveiling the new payment structure for 1Password for Android, the 4.1 update introduces a variety of new features and bug fixes. For one, you can now create password vaults within the app, a feature that was previously limited to the desktop version of the app.
- Create vaults right in the app – You no longer need the desktop version of 1Password to create new vaults
- Stay secure, whether you pronounce it asegurar, sichern, garantir or обеспечить. Version 4.1 has localizations for 17 languages – including Spanish, German, Portugese and Russian
The update is available on the Play Store now.
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.