For the past several weeks, Google has been leveraging all of its platforms to provide quick access to information about the coronavirus. The latest sees Assistant’s new Snapshot feed gain a “COVID-19 alert” card with some useful tips.
Google Assistant this evening added a red-tinted card about the “Coronavirus disease (COVID-19).” Tapping to “Get the latest information” presents several suggestion chips that proceed to launch Assistant:
- About: SOS Alert card from Search
- News: Carousel of the latest stories
- Symptoms: Knowledge Panel from Search
- Work from home tips: Search query
- Set a reminder to wash hands: Built-in reminder
- Help me wash my hands: Whimsical song
The card proves the usefulness and flexibility of the Snapshot format that widely rolled out to Android and iOS just last week. It’s listed under “Now” — usually reserved for current calendar events — and links to a lot of information while remaining compact.
This information hub can be dismissed by selecting “Don’t show this card again” in the overflow menu. The COVID-19 alert in Snapshot is appearing on several Assistant devices we checked this evening.
It joins another suggestion tip in Google Assistant, as well as a simpler PSA at the top of the Google Discover feed from last week.
More about coronavirus:
- How to check and track coronavirus symptoms on Android
- 3D tigers, other animals surge in popularity among parents amid coronavirus
- Google says it can ‘handle the load’ of coronavirus-related traffic
- [Update: Progress] Verily launches COVID-19 screener and testing for California
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.