Skip to main content

Android Oreo on 5.7% of devices in May distribution numbers

Amidst the kickoff of I/O 2018, Google has published the Android distribution numbers for the month of May. Oreo sees the largest gain of any OS version and has finally passed 5% following its release nine months ago.

Compared to April, 8.0 Oreo rose .8 percentage points to 4.9%, while Android 8.1 is still only at .8% after a .3 point jump. Combining for 5.7%, this number was likely buoyed by a series of many 2017 flagships continuing to receive Oreo.

Meanwhile, Android 7.0 fell .1 point to 22.9%, while 7.1 saw a .4 point increase to 8.2%. The two combine for a total of 31.1%, compared to last month’s 30.8%, and continues to be the most used versions of Android.

Marshmallow fell .5 percentage points to 25.5%, with Lollipop 5.0 and 5.1 merging for 22.4%. KitKat is at 10.3% and Jelly Bean fell to 4.3%. Meanwhile, Ice Cream Sandwich remains at .4% and Gingerbread at .3%

These numbers are compiled from Android devices that accessed the Play Store during a seven-day period ending on May 7th.

Check out 9to5Google on YouTube for more news:

FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.

You’re reading 9to5Google — experts who break news about Google and its surrounding ecosystem, day after day. Be sure to check out our homepage for all the latest news, and follow 9to5Google on Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn to stay in the loop. Don’t know where to start? Check out our exclusive stories, reviews, how-tos, and subscribe to our YouTube channel