This week, we talk about a weird tip we got that Xiaomi and Google are somehow partnering for a phone in the US, rumors about Google’s forthcoming first-party smart display, and corporate news including Apple’s poaching of Google’s (now former) AI chief.
Alphabet Scoop is available on Google Play, iTunes and Apple’s Podcasts app, and through our dedicated RSS feed for Pocket Casts and other podcast players.
New episodes of Alphabet Scoop are recorded every Friday and published on Saturday mornings. Subscribe to our podcast in Google Play or your favorite podcast player to guarantee new episodes are delivered as soon as they’re available.
- Source: Google’s Pixel 2 to feature improved camera, CPU, higher price, but ‘budget’ phone also in works [Updated]
- Google is reportedly working on a mid-range ‘Pixel’ for emerging markets, could debut in July
- Google accidentally drops first ‘Pixel 3’ mention in AOSP
- Google does not rule out making its own Assistant smart display
- Google appoints veteran engineers to lead Search, Artificial Intelligence amid ‘AI first’ push
- Apple bolsters AI team as it poaches Google’s search & artificial intelligence chief
- Googler petition asks Sundar Pichai to end AI project involving military drones
- Are you bothered by Google developing AI for military purposes? [Poll]
- YouTube HQ in San Bruno on lockdown following active shooter [Update]
- YouTube details yesterday’s shooting and commends heroics of responders, employees
- OnePlus 6 officially confirmed to deliver Snapdragon 845, 8GB of RAM, 256GB storage
- Leaked LG G7 renders show off notch, headphone jack, side-mounted power button
- Google Voice finally readying in-app VoIP with beta program for Android and web
- Google shutting down goo.gl URL shortener next year, existing links will keep working
- April security patch rolling out to Pixel/Nexus devices, factory images and OTAs live
- You can now watch YouTube TV using Firefox
- Google Chrome adding fast emoji shortcut on Mac, Windows, Chrome OS
- Roundup: All the April Fools’ ‘announcements’ from Google, Alphabet, and more
Drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also soon rate us in Google Play, Apple Podcasts or recommend us in Pocket Casts to help more people discover the show!
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.