Last week (ending today), Amazon had a pretty incredible Penny Pincher sale where it offered just about every Android and otherwise phone (except Apple’s iPhone) for a penny with a two year plan. That’s what we call a game-changing, evening of the field. Sure, carriers and the plans matter, but if every phone is free, you can get a pretty good idea which are the most sought after phones in the “price not being an option” category.
From our Amazon Affiliate account we can see just how many of each phone our readers picked up, thereby getting a pretty good sample of what are the hot phones out there. Here are some stats:
- – >90% of phones were Android (not surprising from a Google site)
- – Motorola Droid RAZR and Sprint’s Galaxy SII were the big winners (well done readers!)
- – Verizon was the dominant carrier with the top selling (RAZR), and 3 of the top 5 phones.
- – Samsung Galaxy SII was 3 of the top 6 and the number one seller overall across all carriers
- – We’re aren’t sure why*, but 9 of you bought Motorola Bionic’s giving Motorola the second place prize (*We love the RAZR and aren’t sure why one would pick a Bionic over a RAZR).
- – HTC was #3 with the Rezound having an impressive showing and the Thunderbolt getting picked up 5 times (again, not sure why you’d pick a Thunderbolt over a Rezound at the same price). HTC on AT&T was a poor showing with none of the new Amaze 4Gs showing up. In fact, with the Titan, HTC sold more Windows phones on AT&T than it did Android. The EVO wasn’t as popular as you’d expect on Sprint with the Galaxy S II selling a whopping 9 times as many units on the carrier
Overall, no huge surprises, especially at the top, though we’re somewhat surprised that Sprint’s Galaxy SII beat both of AT&T’s combined. Toward the bottom, we started seeing some unlocked Nokias (5 C6’s) Windows Phones (3 HTC Titans, 3 Samsung Focus Ss) and a few BlackBerry Bolds.
The big question is: How will the Galaxy Nexus on Verizon upset the line? Whatever the outcome, Verizon is already the clear winner with the RAZR and Rezound (and Bionic) already topping many granted holiday wish lists.
Fuller results below:
- Review: Motorola Droid RAZR – The best Android device…yet (9to5google.com)
- Flagship phones from three big US carriers go free at Amazon this week (9to5google.com)
- Which one of Verizon’s three new Android offerings is for you? (9to5google.com)
- Motorola releases RAZR teaser site, revealing the phone one piece at a time (9to5google.com)
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.